Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Eton E1XM defective

I've enjoyed listening to shortwave radio broadcasts for about 15 years. Most of that time I've had a Sony 7600G, which is a nice radio, but the power button is starting to fail, so I thought I'd get a new radio.

So this week I bought a new Eton E1XM shortwave radio. Unfortunately, it is defective. There is a recall for some units, as described here.

Mine has SN 2428, which is outside the recall range, but I was a little worried because I read a few reports that units not covered by the recall were also defective. So this evening I put in 4 new batteries and ran it plugged in for about an hour. I never noticed that the batteries got warm, but then I heard some popping noise. I dumped out the batteries and set them on the counter, and they continued leaking and popping.

So tomorrow I'll be calling Eton about the recall. Hopefully I won't have a problem getting it fixed. It looks like Eton needs to recall a few more radios.

Hopefully Google will pick up this post so other people who buy an E1XM might do a search and will know to be careful the first time they use batteries with the AC plugged in.

Other than this problem, the radio is tremendous. I'm looking forward to getting one that works correctly.

3 Comments:

Blogger weatherall said...

It's interesting to hear that radios outside the recalled range could also be affected. There's an explanation of the problem's cause at http://passband.com/pages/receivernews.htm . I don't have an E1 but I've been following the story.

If you're interested in reading more about shortwave radio, please see my weblog at http://cobaltpet.blogspot.com/ .

9:52 AM  
Blogger jco2473 said...

Friend good afternoon.
I wonder where I can find this radio Eton E1XM to buy, you know someone or know where I can find this receiver E1XM Eton.
I live in Brazil in Sao Paulo and I would love to have this radio.
I appreciate any information hugs 73 "
Any information please send it to my blog http://qsldobrasil.blogspot.com

10:55 AM  
Blogger PY2255 SWL said...

Friend good afternoon.
I wonder where I can find this radio Eton E1XM to buy, you know someone or know where I can find this receiver E1XM Eton.
I live in Brazil in Sao Paulo and I would love to have this radio.
I appreciate any information hugs 73 "
Any information please send it to my blog http://qsldobrasil.blogspot.com

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home